Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Staying at a hotel is inevitable, especially if you’re the kind of person who is always traveling. While staying at a hotel is generally fun and relaxing, the challenging part comes when you have a baby with you. Where would the baby sleep?
Do hotels have cribs? While most hotels do have cribs, it’s not always a guarantee that you’ll get one. Hotel cribs are limited. To ensure one will be accessible for you, calling the hotel ahead of time to inquire is advisable. Otherwise, the alternative is to bring your own.
Where Should Your Baby Sleep in the Hotel Room?
You can either rely on the crib that the hotel provides (if it provides one at all) or bring your own portable crib and bedding.
While opting for a hotel crib may not be an ideal option, it is definitely a convenient one. You will want to check it thoroughly before using them as several guests may have used it before you. Hotel cribs tend to be unsanitary or unsafe, or worse, both. Here are steps to ensure your baby will be able to sleep comfortably in a hotel crib?
How to Inspect a Hotel Crib?
Listed below are a few steps to inspect a hotel crib to make sure it is safe to use:
- To prevent the crib from accidentally collapsing, thoroughly check the hardware to make sure that none of the screws are missing, loose, or bent.
- The mattress must be firm and tight-fitting. You must not be able to fit two fingers between the slats. Also, make sure that the slats are not loose or cracked. If the sides are mesh instead of slats, the mesh should not have holes or torn.
- The crib must not have any heavy comforters, pillows, and mattresses. The crib must have a fitted sheet that is specially designed for cribs and not adult-sized sheets.
You can call the hotel before checking in and ask about the type of crib it offers. Then, you can check if the crib meets the current safety standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. If you’re unsure whether the hotel crib is safe to use or you don’t want to go through the trouble of thoroughly inspecting the hotel crib before using it, bringing a portable crib would be the best option for you.
Bringing a portable crib at a hotel is the best way to ensure that your baby will be able to sleep comfortably, even when you’re away from home. While the downside may be more luggage to carry, having your own portable crib comes with a lot of advantages. Portable cribs save you the inconvenience of having to thoroughly inspect it before using it. It is also way more sanitary and safe compared to hotel cribs.
There are a lot of portable cribs available in the market that makes it challenging to find that ideal portable crib. Understanding what factors to consider when looking for a portable crib will significantly help you with your search.
Factors to Consider When Looking for Portable Cribs:
- Safety – Your kid’s safety is a top priority, and it is what you should be mainly looking for in search of a portable crib. A safe portable crib meets the safety standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Comfort – Comfort is a crucial factor for your baby to be able to sleep soundly. A comfortable portable crib must have soft padding.
- Lightweight – The overall essence of a portable crib is that you can bring it with you wherever you go. That means, its weight shouldn’t be a burden to you. The perfect crib is lightweight and can become ultra-compact, making it easier to carry around.
- Easy to set up – You wouldn’t want to spend so much time setting up a portable crib and make it functional. Make sure you get a crib that is easy to set up and convenient to use.
- Affordability – You don’t have to break the bank to purchase a high-quality portable crib. There are a lot of cost-friendly portable cribs available in the market that are safe, comfortable, and convenient.
To help you with your research, we’ve narrowed down your options by giving you a list of the best portable cribs that provides the best quality, comfort, safety, convenience, and affordability.
Portable Crib for Traveling
The Lotus Travel Crib and Playard (view on Amazon) can be easily set up and folded, and it only weighs about 11 pounds. Additionally, it comes with optional backpack straps that can be attached to the crib for a more convenient way of carrying it. These features make the Lotus Travel Crib the most lightweight and an ideal crib for traveling. Listed below are more of its features:
- Equipped with a side door that gives your child the liberty to wander around. If you want your child to stay inside the crib, the side door can easily be zipped up. This feature also enables you to crawl inside and spend quality time with your child.
- Features a see-through mesh that allows you to keep an eye on your child and for your child to see the environment. It also helps in keeping the crib well-ventilated.
- Easily folded and ultra-lightweight.
- Manufactured from environmentally friendly material that has been thoroughly tested for harmful emissions.
Durable and Spacious Portable Crib for Longer Use
The Joovy New Room 2 offers a massive space that gives your baby plenty of room to play and sleep comfortably. It is nearly 50% bigger than the traditional portable cribs, which makes it perfect for bigger babies or even twins. Listed below are a few of its main features:
- It has over 10 square feet of space. This feature allows you to have just one crib for your twins. But if you have one child, the maximized space ensures that you’ll still be able to utilize this crib as your child grows bigger and older. This crib can accommodate your child until they are about 35 inches tall.
- Features a high-quality steel frame for extreme durability and stability.
- It is equipped with two wheels for moving the crib indoors without having to fold it.
- Features a massive net that mimics a window that allows your child to see their surroundings, enables you to check-up on your child, and permits a free flow of fresh air.
- Includes a 100% cotton fitted sheet and a travel carrying bag with a shoulder strap.
Portable Crib to Bring on Outdoor Activities
If you’re an adventurous person, the best portable crib for your baby would be something that not only could be useful at a hotel room, but would also keep your baby protected at the beach, during camping, or any outdoor activity. The MinGz Large Baby Travel Tent (view on Amazon) allows you to not miss out on any adventures with your baby. Let’s take a look at its features listed below to see what makes it the perfect crib to bring on outdoor activities:
- Features UV50+ protection with UV coated mesh and fabric, which keeps your baby protected from sunlight and disease-carrying mosquitoes.
- Made of 100% certified non-toxic and lead-free material for the ultimate safety and protection.
- Equipped with steak fixed feature to ensure that the crib is securely set on the ground, making it stable in both indoor and outdoor use.
- It requires zero assembly as the tent can automatically expand and folded within seconds. It can fold into a very compact size that you can easily put in your backpack.
- Weighs only 3.65 pounds, making it very lightweight and easy to carry anywhere you go.
Portable Crib for a Newborn Baby
There are portable cribs especially designed for toddlers, at which age children tend to be a lot more playful. There are also portable cribs meant for bigger babies or even twins. But for a newborn and babies of any age that weigh less than 20 pounds, the Chicco Lullago Travel Crib (view on Amazon) is the most ideal mainly because of its size. Listed below are its significant features:
- Features breathable, removable, and machine-washable fabrics paired with a brushed mattress pad.
- Equipped with a one-piece top construction and snap-on legs, making it convenient and easy to assemble within seconds.
- Weighs only 17 pounds, which is lightweight enough to carry from one place to another.
- Equipped with see-through mesh windows for you to be able to look after your child and for increased airflow.
- Features anti-slip to prevent the crib from accidentally sliding, making it stable and sturdy.
Tips for Helping Your Baby Sleep in a Hotel Room
Staying at a hotel is fun until it’s midnight and your child is still wide awake. And sometimes, even the most comfortable portable crib isn’t enough to get a child to sleep in a hotel room. The most significant factors that contribute to a child’s sleepless nights is the sudden change in environment and noise. And for a parent, a sleepless child also means a sleepless parent. So how can you avoid this usual occurrence and make sure everyone is well-rested on your staycation? Below are a few useful tips to ensure that your child will be able to sleep soundly in a hotel room:
1. Plan Ahead of Time and Make Sure the Baby Has Their Own Room.
When booking a hotel room, make sure it meets your family’s needs. The most important factor to consider when choosing your accommodation is to identify how many family members are going to check-in. But regardless of your number, it is crucial that the baby or the toddler is in a separate room. The better option would be to opt for interconnected rooms, which allows you to check on your child from time to time conveniently. Putting the baby in a separate room allows him or her to be able to sleep soundly without any noise, and enables you to have fun without having to lower down the television’s volume and continually having to silence everyone around.
2. Assess the Surroundings, Position the Crib, and See to It That Your Baby’s Room Is Completely Baby-Proofed.
Upon checking in, make sure that your baby’s room is well-ventilated, has sufficient lighting, and has the right temperature. This is an ideal time to set up the portable crib in a clear space at a distance from anything that might accidentally fall or break. Everything must be set and arranged according to what your baby is familiar with at your home. Also, make sure to get rid of sharp objects and breakables to ensure that the space is fully baby-proofed. Doing this will allow you to sleep at ease, knowing that your baby is safe.
3. Start the Trip Well-Rested and Stick to Your Baby’s Routines and Sleeping Schedule
Everyone should get enough rest before starting the trip. Lack of sleep leads to agitation, and an agitated child has a higher tendency to cry all night than to sleep. Also, when getting your child to sleep soundly and comfortably, timing is everything. Sticking to your baby’s routine and sleeping schedule will significantly help in getting your baby to sleep. What does your baby do right before sleeping? Do you usually play or sing a lullaby to help your baby sleep? Whatever your routine is at home, see to it that it takes place even when you’ve checked in at a hotel room. Also, bringing your baby’s favorite toy, pillow, or anything familiar to them will significantly help.