Quality sleep is vital to good health. One way to ensure this is to monitor how long and how deep your sleep is. With the growing need for better sleep quality, people have been turning to sleep tracking devices, apps, and wearables.
So why should you opt for Wear OS sleep tracking to monitor your sleep? A wearable sleep tracking device matched with your Wear OS can give you data on the amount of time you sleep, your sleep patterns, and your sleeping behaviors. This information is essential to improve the quality of your rest.
If you’re looking for the best wearable sleep tracking devices, then you’re in luck. Read on to learn more about tracking your sleep, and check out our top picks below.
Wearable Sleep Trackers
Body activity is a significant factor for tracking sleep. Most wearable sleep trackers use sensors to identify motion. They can also provide you with real-time data related to your sleep activity. Available options found in the market nowadays are:
- Watches: Smartwatches and bracelet-type trackers detect sleep quality by monitoring your movement and heart rate throughout the night. Mobile apps provide a way to view the collected data through user-friendly graphs. They offer a convenient way for you to identify the times when your sleep gets disrupted.
- Rings: For those uncomfortable wearing watches or wrist trackers while sleeping, a ring sleep tracker is an excellent alternative to monitor your sleeping habits. Slipped around your finger, these devices can read pulse, temperature, movements, and oxygen rates while you are at rest. Like smartwatches, rings can also connect to mobile applications, such as Google Fit sleep tracking, so that you can read your metrics the following day.
- Other types: With the growing demand for sleep trackers, more innovative solutions are coming out in the market. Aside from watches and rings, you can also track your sleep with a sleep headband that reads your brainwave activities. Its algorithm helps identify your sleep patterns while playing unique music to keep you in a deep, restorative sleep. Other types of wearable sleep trackers include waist belts and sleeping eye masks.
What is Wear OS?
Wear OS (previously Android Wear sleep tracking), is Google’s Android operating system for smartwatches and other wearable devices. The OS can be paired with your mobile phone and support several features, including Google Assistant, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. Wear OS can also be used by both Android and IOS devices.
Check out this video by Greg Yeutter about sleep tracking on Android Wear.
Features to Look For in a Sleep Tracker
With a wide variety of options, it may not be easy to select one. Here are some of the features a sleep tracker should monitor:
- Sleep log – Duration of your sleep by logging the times that you have fallen asleep and the time you’ve woken up.
- Movement – Quality of your sleep by detecting if you are a disruptive sleeper, usually identified by the moments when you move.
- Deep sleep – Phases of your sleep and how deep you are in your sleep cycle. It should also detect how long you typically stay within that particular cycle to monitor the quality of your sleep. Trackers with features like this will identify when to set your alarm so it can wake you up during the shallower parts of your sleep cycle. With sleep tracker Android wear, it will be easier to understand how to improve your sleeping patterns.
- Environment – The atmospheric quality of your sleeping environment. The room lighting and temperature can affect the quality of your sleep. Sleep trackers should measure both so that you can adjust.
- Lifestyle – Your lifestyle, including food consumption, physical fitness, stress levels, and heart rate, influences your sleep quality. These elements are also taken into account by a sleep tracker, which analyzes how your lifestyle impacts your sleep.
- Noise – The amount of noise, either by you or something external. Some wearable sleep trackers have built-in microphones that can capture loud noises in the bedroom, such as snoring. The receiver usually measures your breathing patterns and detects if you snore, which can disrupt your sleep. It may also detect choking and gasping sounds, which could be an indicator of sleep apnea. Ambient sounds such as television noise, a loud air conditioning unit, or a fan can also be detected using this tracking feature.
When to Consider Sleep Tracking
Monitoring your sleep is a smart way to see how you can improve. Here are some cases where Wear OS sleep tracking would be excellent for you.
- You wake up often during the night. Whether it’s light coming from the outside, the sound of your partner snoring, or other reasons, you should know the reasons why your sleep is often disturbed.
- You feel sluggish during the day. Even if you think you got a solid eight hours of sleep, that sluggish midday feeling could have been from tossing and turning during the night before.
- You want to achieve optimal health and fitness. If you’re an athlete or a fitness nut, tracking your sleep is a great way to optimize your routine. Of course, you’d like to be in your peak performance by getting a good night’s sleep every night.
Whether your reasons are to beat your best in a marathon or to correct a sleeping disorder, monitoring your sleep activity is one of the best ways to help. Tracking your sleep also helps motivate you to do better and challenge yourself every day.
Wear OS Sleep Tracking Wearables – Our Top 10 Picks
- Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch (view on Amazon)
First on the list is a favorite among fitness fanatics. Aside from having a sleep tracking feature, this smartwatch can track your entire day’s activity, whether you’re exercising or sleeping. This gadget can monitor when you fall asleep, your heart rate, and oxygen levels. It also tracks your movement during the night. The following morning, you will get a “sleep score,” which gives you an insight into the quality of the previous night’s sleep. Other features in the Fitbit Versa 2 include monitoring your sleep cycles and how long you were in light, deep, and REM sleep. It also identifies which time it is best to schedule your alarm to go off. The smartwatch has a built-in Amazon Alexa that is compatible with other smart home devices installed in your house.
- Garmin Vivosmart 4 (view on Amazon). It may look like your regular sleep tracker, but the slender and sexy Vivosmart 4 packs a lot of punch. Coming from the popular Garmin brand, this device is loaded with sleep sensors that can read heart rate and blood oxygen levels. The Garmin Vivosmart 4 also monitors your sleep cycles so you can see where to improve.
- Withings Steel HR Sport (view on Amazon).
If you want to own a sleep tracking device without the bulkiness of other smartwatches, you can bet on the water-resistant Withings Steel HR Sport to give you a comfortable experience. The data it provides will provide you with a look into your sleep times, how long you’ve been in light sleep, and deep, as well as your heart rate. Its alarm function vibrates when it detects that it’s time for you to wake up so you can gently get up from your peaceful slumber.
- TicWatch Pro 4G LTE Cellular Smartwatch (view on Amazon).
With a stylish design, the TicWatch Pro is US Military Standard certified durability. It’s lightweight and has up to 18 hours of battery life. Download the TicSleep app and monitor your sleep progress through the mobvoi app.
- Oura Ring. This smart ring is a powerful device to track your sleep, your physical activities, and your level of wellness. Through its bar chart and visual reports that you can review on Google Fit sleep tracking, you can identify how much you’ve been moving while sleeping and your heart rate while at rest.
- Wellue O2Ring Oxygen Tracker.
The Wellue O2 Ring Oxygen Tracker’s features include observing your heart rate, oxygen levels, and movements during sleep. The device notifies you when these factors are beyond your preferred ranges due to its heart rate and oxygen monitoring technology. With the data that it collects in your Android wear sleep tracker, you will get a graphical sleep report for you to keep track of your sleep patterns.
- Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatch (view on Amazon).
Compatibility: Android OS 6.0+ and iOS 10.0+. With its classic design and skilled craftsmanship that Fossil smartwatches are known for, it’s easily a crowd favorite due to its sleek design. More known as an activity tracker, it also serves as an excellent Wear OS sleep tracking device. If you wear this watch to sleep, it automatically tracks your sleeping time, duration, sleep cycle, and the time when you wake up.
- Lintelek Fitness Tracker (view on Amazon). Considered as one of the most affordable sleep and fitness tracking smartwatches, the Lintelek Fitness tracker reads your sleep cycles, sleeping time, and waking time but does not provide data for heart rate during sleep. Matched with an Android wear sleep monitor, this is a good start for those looking for budget-friendly options.
- TicWatch S2 Waterproof Smartwatch (view on Amazon)
This US military-grade durable smartwatch not only tracks your sleep but also has a built-in GPS for outdoor adventures. Take this smartwatch into nature and even in the water. The TicWatch S2 is waterproof and swim-ready up to 50 meters. TicMotion AI algorithms monitor your activities all day and night, whether you’re hiking or sleeping.
- Lookee Ring Sleep Monitor (view on Amazon)
Compatibility: Android 5.0+, iOS 9.0+. If you have sleep apnea or you’re a heavy snorer, look into the Lookee Ring Sleep monitor. This small device can detect when you are snoring, or when your blood oxygen level has fallen below your preferred level. Once it does, it softly vibrates, prompting you to change your position to a more comfortable and healthier one. Aside from that, it also tracks your heart rate while sleeping and delivers the report by recording it in your mobile phone app.
Conclusion – Wear OS Sleep Tracking
Sleep is critical to good health; however, it can be a challenge to get enough. With wearable sleep tracking tech, achieving this can be a whole lot easier. When using your Wear OS sleep tracking technology, carefully monitor your progress, and make improvements along the way. We hope you find one that you love, suits your style, and enhances your sleep.