Korean beauty and skincare has gained a lot of popularity all around the world. One gateway item into the K-beauty world are sheet masks. We see a lot of celebrities posing with them on social media. Yes, they are good for selfies, but they work even better for your skin!
For the curious minds, sheet masks are faced-shaped sheets that are soaked in nourishing ingredients that gives your skin intense hydration, moisturizing, anti-aging, and brightening effects, among others. You can apply it whenever you want or as often as you like, even everyday if you feel like it. The good thing about using sheet masks is that you don’t need to wash your face after applying.
But Can You Sleep with a Sheet Mask On?
You should not wear a sheet mask longer than 30 minutes. Once the mask dries out, it will have a reverse effect – all the moisture will be pulled out from your skin. For this reason, you should avoid sleeping with it on.
What Are Sheet Masks Made Of?
Sheet masks are made from different types of materials including cotton, hydrogel, and non-woven fibers. They are mostly packed with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. These days, however, you can find sheet masks with unique ingredients, such as charcoal, seaweed, green tea, etc. All these ingredients are beneficial for different conditions and types of skin.
Cotton – Cotton sheet masks are made from natural fibers that are harvested from the cotton plant, such as clothes and towels also use cotton. They are inexpensive compared to other types of sheet masks. Cotton sheet masks are soft and breathable. Although moisture of cotton sheet masks evaporates quickly, they have a better absorption system into the skin. The downside is that they do not stick to the skin so well which makes it difficult to move around in them.
Hydrogel – Hydrogel sheet masks are 3D structured biocompatible polymer network, which is also used to treat wounds and skin damage in the medical field. Like cotton sheet masks, they also have great absorption and a cooling effect to the skin. They stick to the skin so well which makes it easy to move around in them. Hydrogel sheet masks are not breathable. They are thin in nature and can easily be torn which is why they always come with top and bottom parts separately. These type of mask have their cons, apart from being generally expensive, they can also irritate sensitive types of skin due to the chemicals during the manufacturing process.
Non-woven – Non-woven fibers are flat and porous sheets made from separate fibers, molten plastic, or plastic film – the same fibers used in coffee filters, wipes, diapers, etc. Like cotton sheet masks, they are also breathable, inexpensive, and do not adhere to the skin very well. Their downside is that they have a limited capacity to supply serum deeper into the skin.
Here Are Top Five Benefits of Using Sheet Masks
- Hydration – Sheet masks will soak your skin in deep hydration, giving it a firm and rejuvenated appearance. It works best if you have dry skin or if you are travelling, basking in the sun, etc. Hydrating sheet masks can take your burden off your exhausted and stressed out skin. Not to mention, hydration is the number one sheet mask benefit there is! Your skin will receive an ample boost of moisture making your skin healthy and radiant-looking.
- Brightening – Ageing can make our skin appear dull. Brightening sheet masks can help restore balance in your skin tone, lighten stressed skin, and brighten some dull spots. These kind of sheet masks are good to include a part of your routine skin care at least more than once a week, to help restore the healthy tone and radiance of your youth.
- Detox – Every day, our skin comes in contact with dirt, pollution, and other offensive environmental factors. Detoxifying sheet masks help clear out these toxins from your face and replace it with more nourishing and soothing ingredients.
- Anti-acne – Acne-prone skin is more sensitive than dry or oily skin types. If you are looking for a sheet mask for acne treatment and prevention, look for one with a low level of salicylic acid and calming ingredients such as aloe vera or algae as these will lessen irritation and inflammation. However, use this kind of mask carefully as too much use can lead to impending problems instead of helping your skin.
- Anti-aging – Wrinkles are something we cannot shake off as we get older. Some people can show signs of ageing more than others. In addition to your skin care routine, a healthy diet, sun protection, and using a sheet mask with anti-aging properties such as green tea or other sources, will help reduce temporarily the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. If you have an upcoming event to attend to or any occasion that you want to look your best, it’s great to use these anti-ageing sheet masks before going out.
How to Use Sheet Masks?
- Cleanse your face first. This will get rid of the dirt and impurities that your face had gathered. This will also make your skin cells ready to soak in vitamins, minerals, and other ingredients that will nourish your skin.
- Apply a toner. Using a toner will balance the pH level of your skin and helps in opening up your pores. In this way, your skin will be in its neutral state and is all ready to embrace the nutrients that the sheet mask will provide.
- Remove the mask from its packet. Once you open the sheet mask packet, serum will be dripping off from it. You can use the remaining serum for your neck, arms, hands, and chest.
- Unfold the sheet mask. Apply the it to your face. You can do so by adjusting the holes to fit your eyes, nose, and mouth lining.
- Leave the mask on for 15-25 minutes. Remember that each sheet mask packaging varies. It is best to read the instructions for the recommended time of application.
- Remove the mask. You can massage the remaining essence into your skin for maximum absorption.
- Apply moisturizer. It is desirable to apply moisturizer or creams to seal all the nutrients. You can also find good facial moisturizers such as Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream (view on Amazon). Just remember to pick the one which suits your skin best.
If you are into organic or natural products including sheet masks, you can check out Orgaid Organic Sheet Mask (view on Amazon), which is also found on Amazon. Apart from sheet masks, they also have other natural and organic products.
Applying sheet masks on your face may not be as easy as 1, 2, 3. You open the sheet mask packaging, unfold the mask, and apply it to your face. Then you take it off after the stipulated time. But this might not always be the case. You may not be aware of it, but there’s actually some things you can do wrong while doing your sheet mask regimen that may lead to negative results.
Common Sheet Mask Mistakes to Avoid
- Failing to prep your skin – Applying sheet mask to a dirty face is a no-no. Make sure to properly cleanse your skin to remove any makeup or dirt off your face. You can try exfoliating before applying a sheet mask. Then you can let it do its wonders.
- Not following instructions – This one is a common mistake. We might often hear this phrase in school or during exams. But just like anything that comes with instructions, make sure to follow them carefully before application.
- Not letting your mask adhere to your face – You want your mask to adhere to your face well enough. Do this by gently placing the sheet mask on your face, making sure to match the cut-outs for your eyes, mouth, and nose. Then smooth the mask down simply by massaging it over your skin. The more the mask adheres to the skin, the more its essence will be absorbed.
- Applying moisturizer prior to sheet mask – You want to make sure that your skin is freshly cleansed and toned before applying your sheet mask, but you should skip the moisturizer. You can save that for later.
- Leaving the mask on for too long – We sometimes think that ‘longer equals better results’. This is one exception. Leaving the mask on your face for too long can actually impose negative results. The sheet will dry and will suck out the moisture from your skin. Make sure that you don’t fall asleep while there’s still sheet mask on your face.
- Washing your face after applying the sheet mask – The benefits of sheet mask continue even after you remove it. Instead of washing away the essence from your face, take advantage of it by patting the moisture into your skin. Washing your face means washing away all the nourishing goodness that you just applied. Once your skin feels sticky and you find the urge to wash your face after patting the excess moisture in, you should switch to a new mask that doesn’t leave any sticky residue.
- Not using the excess essence – Sheet masks are soaked in essences and oftentimes there’s still plenty of it left in the packet. Take advantage of every last drop instead of throwing them away. Apply the excess essence to other parts of your body that needs moisturizing, or you can store them in a bottle and apply them as essence on the coming days.
- Not moisturizing after applying sheet mask – It is not always necessary to apply moisturizer on your face after a sheet mask. However, it is a good thing to do. Using moisturizer after a sheet mask will seal in all the moisture and nutrients and prevents them from evaporating out.
Conclusion – Is It Okay to Sleep with a Sheet Mask On?
Our face is our asset. How we take care of ourselves will reflect on our face. Our skin deserves all the pampering it can get as we go through our daily routines. At the end of the day, dirt and debris will accumulate on our face. We do not want those things clinging to our skin. So it is important that we spare time in taking care of it. A good skin care routine will always yield good results.